Postgres 10 - Attach-Detach Partition in Declarative vs Inheritance

From: Gaurav Anand <gaurav(dot)anand(at)saama(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Postgres 10 - Attach-Detach Partition in Declarative vs Inheritance
Date: 2022-02-21 14:04:04
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi Team,

I need your kind recommendation
We have Postgres 10 and have partition tables currently with Declarative
partitions. When we refresh the data and detach and attach the partition,
during this time our Application which has Sql query on these tables takes
Lock and sometimes a deadlock situation also arises.

To overcome the deadlock we used, advisory lock however the application
still keeps waiting for lock to release.

Please suggest the best way -
1. Will Inheritance partition (in PG10) help avoid the explicit locks.
2. Is upgrading the only choice? if so which version of PG.
3. Please suggest any other work around.

Thanks.

Regards,
Gaurav Anand

[image: logo] <https://bit.ly/3B9rOrW>