Json table/column design question

From: Skorpeo Skorpeo <skorpeo11(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Json table/column design question
Date: 2024-05-23 03:38:23
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I was wondering if having unrelated columns in a table is a sound approach
when using json. In other words, if I have two collections of unrelated
json objects, for example "Users" and "Inventory", would it be ok to have
one table with a "Users" column and a "Inventory" column? My concern is
that from a row perspective the columns could be different lengths, such as
more inventory items as users. And for any given row the data in one
column would have no relation to another column. I would only query a
single column at a time.

Would this approach be ok or are there pitfalls such that it would be
advantageous/recommended to have a separate table for each column?

Any thoughts/inputs are greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.