Re: What is a typical precision of gettimeofday()?

From: Hannu Krosing <hannuk(at)google(dot)com>
To: "Andrey M(dot) Borodin" <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
Cc: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
Subject: Re: What is a typical precision of gettimeofday()?
Date: 2024-07-03 11:29:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

We currently do something similar with OIDs where we just keep
generating them and then testing for conflicts.

I don't think this is the best way to do it but it mostly works when
you can actually test for uniqueness, like for example in TOAST or
system tables.

Not sure this works even reasonably well for UUIDv7.

--
Hannu