Re: pgAdmin 4 v4.9 released

From: Aditya Toshniwal <aditya(dot)toshniwal(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Fernando Hevia <fhevia(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Akshay Joshi <akshay(dot)joshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgAdmin Support <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgAdmin 4 v4.9 released
Date: 2019-06-28 05:10:19
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 9:42 AM Fernando Hevia <fhevia(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi pgAdmin team.
>
> I've just upgraded to v4.9 (from 4.6) and noticed for the first time a
> dialog requesting a master password. I've gone through the release notes
> and couldn't find when this feature was implemented.

Master password was released in 4.7
https://www.pgadmin.org/docs/pgadmin4/dev/release_notes_4_7.html

> Anyway, the encryption seems to mess up all saved passwords. When I
> connect to an pre existing server which had the password saved I get error: Failed
> to decrypt the saved password. Error: 'utf-8' codec can't decode byte 0x89
> in position 3: invalid start byte

Yes this is an issue. We're trying to figure out the cause. This happens
only when you upgrade.

> After feeding the correct password it connects alright. Sadly it seems I
> will have to reenter the password for all the servers I manage.
> A small nuance is the Save Password checkbox on the Connect Server dialog
> requiring a lot of clicks for it to turn checked. (running Windows 10 +
> Chrome)

This is something we are not facing. Can you please log a bug so that we
can investigate further -
https://redmine.postgresql.org/projects/pgadmin4/issues/new

> A more serious issue seems to happen when a connection with SSL tunneling
> is lost, since I am unable to reconnect to the server as pgAdmin will throw
> this error on every attempt to reconnect: create_ssh_tunnel() missing 1
> required positional argument: 'tunnel_password'

This is fixed, and will be available in v4.10.

> Can't find a way around it other than restarting pgAdmin since the same
> error appears upon trying to open the server properties. (Edit: I managed
> to workaround this deadlock by clearing the server password)
>
> Another nuance is that the ssh password can't be saved. This is not the
> "click lots of times till it kicks in", the save password checkbox is
> definitely disabled for the ssh password. Haven't found an option to enable
> it either.

This is disabled by default (ALLOW_SAVE_TUNNEL_PASSWORD = False in
config.py). You can enable it with ALLOW_SAVE_TUNNEL_PASSWORD = True. Kindly
refer -
https://www.pgadmin.org/docs/pgadmin4/dev/desktop_deployment.html?highlight=config#configuration

--
Thanks and Regards,