Re: pgAdmin 4 v4.9 released

From: Fernando Hevia <fhevia(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Aditya Toshniwal <aditya(dot)toshniwal(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Akshay Joshi <akshay(dot)joshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgAdmin Support <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgAdmin 4 v4.9 released
Date: 2019-06-28 05:46:46
Lists: pgadmin-support

El vie., 28 de jun. de 2019 a la(s) 02:10, Aditya Toshniwal (
aditya(dot)toshniwal(at)enterprisedb(dot)com) escribió:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 9:42 AM Fernando Hevia <fhevia(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> Hi pgAdmin team.
>>
>> I've just upgraded to v4.9 (from 4.6) and noticed for the first time a
>> dialog requesting a master password. I've gone through the release notes
>> and couldn't find when this feature was implemented.
>>
> Master password was released in 4.7
> https://www.pgadmin.org/docs/pgadmin4/dev/release_notes_4_7.html

Ha, I see it now. It is listed as a bug correction and I was looking for a
feature so I missed it.

> Anyway, the encryption seems to mess up all saved passwords. When I
>> connect to an pre existing server which had the password saved I get error: Failed
>> to decrypt the saved password. Error: 'utf-8' codec can't decode byte 0x89
>> in position 3: invalid start byte
>>
> Yes this is an issue. We're trying to figure out the cause. This happens
> only when you upgrade.
>

>> After feeding the correct password it connects alright. Sadly it seems I
>> will have to reenter the password for all the servers I manage.
>> A small nuance is the Save Password checkbox on the Connect Server dialog
>> requiring a lot of clicks for it to turn checked. (running Windows 10 +
>> Chrome)
>>
> This is something we are not facing. Can you please log a bug so that we
> can investigate further -
> https://redmine.postgresql.org/projects/pgadmin4/issues/new

Will do. Thanks.

>> A more serious issue seems to happen when a connection with SSL tunneling
>> is lost, since I am unable to reconnect to the server as pgAdmin will throw
>> this error on every attempt to reconnect: create_ssh_tunnel() missing 1
>> required positional argument: 'tunnel_password'
>>
> This is fixed, and will be available in v4.10.

Excellent! Looking forward to.

>> Can't find a way around it other than restarting pgAdmin since the same
>> error appears upon trying to open the server properties. (Edit: I managed
>> to workaround this deadlock by clearing the server password)
>>
>> Another nuance is that the ssh password can't be saved. This is not the
>> "click lots of times till it kicks in", the save password checkbox is
>> definitely disabled for the ssh password. Haven't found an option to enable
>> it either.
>>
> This is disabled by default (ALLOW_SAVE_TUNNEL_PASSWORD = False in
> config.py). You can enable it with ALLOW_SAVE_TUNNEL_PASSWORD = True. Kindly
> refer -
> https://www.pgadmin.org/docs/pgadmin4/dev/desktop_deployment.html?highlight=config#configuration

Great. I can save passwords now. :)

Thanks Aditya for the quick response and the continuous effort put into
this great tool!!

Regards,
Fernando.