Re: Pgadmin4 System Stats Extension Design

From: Aditya Toshniwal <aditya(dot)toshniwal(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Sahil Harpal <sahilharpal1234(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Khushboo Vashi <khushboo(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Ashesh Vashi <ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Akshay Joshi <akshay(dot)joshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Pgadmin4 System Stats Extension Design
Date: 2023-08-03 04:02:10
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi Sahil,

On Wed, Aug 2, 2023 at 6:14 PM Sahil Harpal <sahilharpal1234(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hi Khushboo,
>
> On Thu, 27 Jul 2023 at 16:26, Khushboo Vashi <
> khushboo(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> You have made different files tab-wise; it would be more manageable if
>> you could put them under a subfolder OR start a name with system_state or
>> something like that.
>> On Thu, Jul 27, 2023 at 1:59 PM Khushboo Vashi <
>> khushboo(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>>> Some initial review comments.
>>> - While applying the patch, I got warnings; please fix those.
>>> - Fix PEP-8 errors (yarn run pep8)
>>> - Fix the linter errors. Run *yarn run bundle:dev* instead of *yarn run
>>> webpacker so* you will get the linter errors on every run.
>>> - If the System Stat extension does not exist, display the appropriate
>>> message instead of blank graphs.
>>> - For the first time, graphs start from the opposite side, and after the
>>> following API call, those get adjusted; please fix that.
>>> - Please consider the refresh rate for the API calls (preferences
>>> settings > Dashboards > Refresh rates)
>>>

> Thank you for the feedback. I have made all the changes as you have
> suggested, except for the issue where graphs are starting from opposite
> sides. I am using the same StreamingChart component that is already there.
> I just made a few changes to handle multiple Y-axes. I tried debugging it,
> but haven't found a solution yet. However, I also checked the pgAdmin4
> desktop application, and I observed a similar behavior there. The initial
> graphs start from the opposite side and then get adjusted automatically,
> but the transition is a little faster there. Could you please help identify
> what might be causing this issue?

Because it is the default behaviour of streaming. You can add a prop
reverse=true to StreamingChart and change the code ret.reverse(); based on
condition.
Unrelated to this, I think instead of showing disk sizes in bytes you can
show them in a human readable format like below used in Statistics tab of
Tables collection node.
[image: image.png]

--
Thanks,