Re: Unified server/desktop config

From: Surinder Kumar <surinder(dot)kumar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Ashesh Vashi <ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Unified server/desktop config
Date: 2017-08-09 04:53:29
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi,

I noticed that test cases don’t run and I got an error:

(pgAdmin_27)Laptop195:regression surinder$ python runtests.py --pkg
feature_tests
<module '__builtin__' (built-in)>
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "runtests.py", line 45, in <module>
import config
File "/Users/surinder/Documents/Projects/pgadmin4/web/config.py",
line 121, in <module>
if builtins.SERVER_MODE is None:
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute'
SERVER_MODE
'

I think this is because we are setting​ ​first​ ​builtins.SERVER_MODE​
in​ ​pgAdmin4.py
but in test cases pgAdmin4.py is not being called.​

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 4:03 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 11:27 AM, Surinder Kumar <
> surinder(dot)kumar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 1:47 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:

>>> I know Fahar has run into this with existing releases on Ubuntu. If you
>>> enable debugging, can you see any clues? I assume it's going round the
>>> retry loop before aborting?

>>> That's an annoying side-effect of the move to Alembic. The previous DB
>>> code would quite happily (and intentionally) run with a newer version of
>>> the database, however, the new code does not. You'll see this issue
>>> whenever you've run a newer version of pgAdmin and then go back to an older
>>> version that uses an older schema version.
>>>
>>> It would be nice to change this so it doesn't complain - but we'd have
>>> to be cautious to only break compatibility on major releases.

>>> Thanks. Do you think it warrants a 2.0 version number, given the
>>> potential for breaking existing installations (I do, but would like other
>>> feedback)? If we do that - and thus allow a parallel installation of 1.x
>>> and 2.x), how would we resolve the Alembic issue you noted such that both
>>> versions could be run against the same DB?
>>>
>> To resolve this issue while upgrading to newer version of pgAdmin4, we
>> can add a parameter version_table: 'alembic_version-1.6 in
>> web/migrations/env.py of upcoming pgAdmin4 source code(reference link
>> <https://issues.asterisk.org/jira/secure/attachment/51610/ASTERISK-24311-set-version-table.diff>
>> )
>> It will create a new version table in pgadmin4.db database and it will
>> instruct the Alembic to run migrations for the version stored in
>> table(alembic_version-1.6) when new pgAdmin4 will be installed.
>>
>> I tried to check if it works or not. But somehow I couldn’t install
>> pgAdmin4-1.5 from wheel.
>>
>> Alternatively I will try to generate new schema using in pgAdmin4 source
>> code(Git HEAD). It will generate a new migration version and then i will
>> run pgAdmin4-1.6 from wheel having different migration number. It will
>> create pgadmin4.db for 1.5.
>> Then
>> I will run pgAdmin4-1.6 from source code, so migration will take place
>> and hopefully
>> ​the ​
>> sa
>> me
>> ​ ​
>> pgadmin4.db will work for newer pgAdmin4 version.
>>
>> Reference link <https://issues.asterisk.org/jira/browse/ASTERISK-24311>
>> where the same issue has been discussed.
>>

> Sounds good - please investigate further.

I spent some time, understands how Alembic works and I thought it is easy
using the reference link but not, It needs more R&D. I will look how can we
fix it.