[Pljava-dev] Return a Anonymous ResultSet

From: vorarlberger at gmail(dot)com (Vorarlberger)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] Return a Anonymous ResultSet
Date: 2011-09-01 09:41:18
Lists: pljava-dev

Hi

In reference to this very year old thread:
http://pgfoundry.org/pipermail/pljava-dev/2005/000277.html I have a very
similar problem and I am not sure if this problem is still remaining?

What I need is to return a result set I do not know at create time. In fact
my java code is holding a HashMap<string,object> and I need to return the
map as a table.

I thought a dummy select to return thre result will do the trick (see
this pseudo code):

PreparedStatement ps = null;
String sql = "select ";

for key in keys in map loop
sql += "? as " + key + ", ";
end loop

//expecing sql as a string like "select ? as name, ? as salary, ? as
hiredate, ? as somearray"
int i =0;
for key in keys in map loop
Object o = map.getValueOf(key);
i++;
if (o instanceof Integer) {
ps.setInt(i, (Integer) o);
} elesif ( ... ) {
do for all known types
} else {
if ( o implements serialize ) {
ps.setBytea(i, objsAsBtyea(o));
} else {
ps.setString(i, o.toString());
}
}
end loop

rs = ps.execute();
return rs; // representing the result of select * from my_java_function(with
this parameter);

But while searching for returning ResultSet examples I came across this old
thread. I am not sure if this is the best solution anyway ... what do you
think?

Thanks
Chris