Re: Again, problem with pgbouncer

From: raghu ram <raghuchennuru(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Phoenix Kiula <phoenix(dot)kiula(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Again, problem with pgbouncer
Date: 2012-10-01 10:44:33
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 3:56 PM, Phoenix Kiula <phoenix(dot)kiula(at)gmail(dot)com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> - PG 9.0.10
> - Pgbouncer version 1.4.2
>
> Not long ago, during the last server reboot for us, we had fixed the
> really painful (and largely mysterious) process of setting up
> pgbouncer.
>
> File permissions and other mysteries were solved with help from
> Raghavendra:
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.db.postgresql.pgbouncer.general/854
>
> After a long we rebooted our server today and again, as if on cue,
> pgbouncer has problems yet again :(
>
> PG itself is running without problems.
>
> The Pgbouncer process starts properly too. All the auth file, log file
> etc are setup as mentioned in that URL above. We haven't changed
> anything at all!
>
> At first, just connecting via pgbouncer port was giving the "no user"
> error. Which is funny, because the authfile has been working without
> problems forever. The .pgpass file had the same problems, and is still
> the same all this time.
>
> So, upon reading that old thread again, I guessed that the "postgres"
> user permissions were needed, so I did this:
>
> chown -R postgres:postgres /etc/pgbouncer
> chown -R postgres:postgres /var/run/pgbouncer/
> chown postgres:postgres /var/log/pgbouncer.log
> chown postgres:postgres /var/lib/pgsql/pgbouncer.txt
>
> Then restarted both PG and Pgbouncer.
>
> Now pgbouncer won't do anything at all. Trying to connect to psql via
> the pgbouncer port gives this error:
>
> psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
> Is the server running locally and accepting
> connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.6789"?
>

> And in the log is this line:
>

> 2012-10-01 06:12:00.703 3754 FATAL @src/main.c:553 in function
> write_pidfile(): /var/run/pgbouncer/pgbouncer.pid: Permission denied
> [13]
>

> What now? Would appreciate some pointers.
>
> Thanks.

Could you please check permission of /var/run/pgbouncer/ directory. If
pgbouncer directory does not have "postgres" user permissions,please assign
it and then start the pgbouncer.

Looking to the error thrown by pgbouncer the port shown up as 6789, but
whereas the link of pgbouncer.ini file it has 6389. Please mention
appropriate port while connecting via pgbouncer and give port number which
is in pgbouncer.ini file.

--

Thanks & Regards,

Raghu Ram