Re: High WriteLatency RDS Postgres 9.3.20

From: Juan Manuel Cuello <juanmacuello(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: High WriteLatency RDS Postgres 9.3.20
Date: 2018-06-19 17:00:01
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 12:16 AM Benjamin Scherrey <
scherrey(at)proteus-tech(dot)com> wrote:

> I would also add that AWS' I/O capabilities are quite poor and expensive.
> I assume that you have tried purchasing additional IOOPs on that setup to
> see whether you got an expected speed up? If not you should try that as a
> diagnostic tool even if you wouldn't want to pay that on an ongoing basis.

I haven't tried increasing available IOPS, but looking at the metrics, I'm
far away of the limit, so it doesn't seem to be related, but I will explore
this option further.

We have a client that is I/O write bound and it has taken us significant
> efforts to get it to perform well on AWS. We definitely run our own
> instances rather than depend on RDS and have always been able to outperform
> RDS instances which seem to really be focused to provide a PAAS capability
> for developers who really don't want to have to understand how a db works.
> Running our identical environment on bare metal is like night & day under
> any circumstances when compared to AWS.
>
> Client's requirement is AWS so we keep working on it and we like AWS for
> many things but understand it will always underperform on I/O.
>
> Post actual measurements with and without IOOPs or create your own PG
> server instance and then people might be able to give you additional
> insights.

I'll consider your suggestions and I'll back with more info in case I
create my own environment, I just wanted to know if the number of
schemas/tables could be the cause of high writes levels, in order to
discard this hypothesis.

Thanks