Re: Add SPLIT PARTITION/MERGE PARTITIONS commands

From: Pavel Borisov <pashkin(dot)elfe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dmitry Koval <d(dot)koval(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Add SPLIT PARTITION/MERGE PARTITIONS commands
Date: 2024-08-21 10:48:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi, Alexander!

On Mon, 19 Aug 2024 at 02:24, Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 10, 2024 at 6:57 PM Dmitry Koval <d(dot)koval(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
> wrote:
> > > Probably
> > > QueryCompletion struct fits this purpose best from the existing
> > > parameters. Attached draft patch implements returning oid of newly
> > > created relation as part of QueryCompletion. Thoughts?
> >
> > I agree, returning the oid of the newly created relation is the best way
> > to solve the problem.
> > (Excuse me, I won't have access to a laptop for the next week - and
> > won't be able to look at the source code).
>
> Thank you for your feedback. Although, I decided QueryCompletion is
> not a good place for this new field. It looks more appropriate to
> place it to TableLikeClause, which already contains one relation oid
> inside. The revised patch is attached.

I've looked at the patch v2. Remembering the OID of a relation newly
created with LIKE in TableLikeClause seems good to me.
Check-world passes sucessfully.

Shouldn't we also modify the TableLikeClause node in gram.y accordingly?

For the comments:
Put the Oid -> Store the OID
so caller might use it -> for the caller to use it.
(Maybe also caller -> table create function)

Regards,
Pavel Borisov
Supabase