Re: Documentation to upgrade logical replication cluster

From: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Documentation to upgrade logical replication cluster
Date: 2024-09-25 12:28:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 25 Sept 2024 at 14:06, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 24, 2024 at 9:42 PM vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > Reordered the docs to enable the subscription before creating the
> > table. For bi-directional replication, a publication refresh is
> > necessary on both nodes: a) First, refresh the publication on the old
> > version server to set the newly added tables to a ready state in the
> > pg_subscription_rel catalog.
> >

> This is not required for table-specific publications and isn't needed
> for the examples mentioned in the patch. So, I have removed this part
> and pushed the patch. BTW, you choose to upgrade the publisher first
> but one can upgrade the subscriber first as well. If so, we can add a
> note to the documentation.

Yes, users can upgrade either the publisher first and then the
subscriber, or the subscriber first and then the publisher. I felt
this note is necessary only for the "Steps to upgrade a two-node
logical replication cluster," as it may confuse users in other types
of logical replication with questions such as: a) Which subscriber
should be upgraded first? b) Which subscriptions should be disabled?
c) When should each subscription be enabled?
The attached patch includes a note for the same.

Regards,
Vignesh

Attachment Content-Type Size
v1-0001-Add-a-note-in-upgrade-of-logical-replication-clus.patch text/x-patch 1.1 KB