PgbackRest stanza creation : on DB server or both DB and Repo server ?

From: KK CHN <kkchn(dot)in(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PgbackRest stanza creation : on DB server or both DB and Repo server ?
Date: 2024-08-29 04:47:27
Lists: pgsql-general

List,

I am configuring the Pgbackrest ( RHEL9.4 , EPAS 16 , PgbackRest
2.52.1 ) on two servers.(Database cluster server and Repo Server).

Query.1 Do I need to create stanza on both servers ( DB server EPAS16
User : enterprisedb, as well as on RepoServer user: postgres )

1. only creating stanza either at DB Server but not on RepoServer is
sufficient? OR I have to create the stanza on both servers as follows ?

on DB server ( RHEL 9.4, EPAS 16 : DB user is : enterprisedb )
]#sudo -u enterprisedb pgbackrest --stanza=Repo --log-level-console=info
stanza-create

Initially It complains about another pgbackrest running and aborted the
stanza-creation
second attempt : Without complaining about anything the stanza creaton
successful :) I couldn't understand why it complained about another
pgbackrest running in the first place ?
( before running stanza creation on DB server, I first tried the stanza
creation on RepoServer as ]# sudo -u postgres pgbackrest --stanza=Repo
--log-level-console=info stanza-create

On Repo server : ( postgres user for Repo server, but no PG installed only
user postgres is created for backup purpose)

]# #sudo -u postgres pgbackrest --stanza=Repo --log-level-console=info
stanza-create

But no success(on multiple stanza creation attempts) : It always aborted
with a message another pgbackrest is running ..

So Only stanza creation has to performed either on DB Server or
RepoServe but not on both servers ?

Kindly shed some light on this.

Thank you,
Krishane