Re: v4 3.0 connection issues, notices is readonly

From: Cherio <cherio(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: murtuza(dot)zabuawala(at)enterprisedb(dot)com
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: v4 3.0 connection issues, notices is readonly
Date: 2018-04-18 15:11:55
Lists: pgadmin-support

I may not have time to do that this week. One possible extra clue my team
member reports this happens as a result of upgrade from v4 2.1 (which was
previously upgraded from v4 2.0) to v4 3.0 and using the same config
directory ~/.pgadmin. Cleaning up configuration directory resolves the
issue but creates another issue forcing us to recreate connection profiles
for over 20 servers which is a big hassle. For this reason we will be
sticking to v4 2.1 for now.

While on this subject I want to briefly mention another overlooked aspect
of configuration. It is a hassle to run pgadmin 3 and pgadmin 4 in the same
environment. To mitigate that we need to crete system wide (vs per user)
"/usr/share/pgadmin4/web/config_local.py" as root and tweak DATA_DIR in
there to e.g. /home/<user>/.pgadmin4. Tweaking configuration requires
system-wide changes within the installed package. This is less of an issue
when running from virtualenv because it can be installed within user
environment but still it requires re-applying configuration for every new
build. The simplest way to solve this is to either initialize DATA_DIR via
environment variable or allow passing it via command line. This should be
quite easy to implement.