Re: pgpool not load balancing via foreign table

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Sbob <sbob(at)quadratum-braccas(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgpool not load balancing via foreign table
Date: 2024-06-22 05:05:04
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Friday, June 21, 2024, Sbob <sbob(at)quadratum-braccas(dot)com> wrote:

> however no matter how many selects I run via the foreign tables a "show
> pool_nodes" on the pgpool server shows a select_cnt of 0 for all 3 nodes.
>
> If I connect to the pgpool server/cluster and run a number of select
> statements then a "show pool_nodes" shows increasing values for all 3
> backend nodes for select_cnt
>

> It appears that a foreign table / FDW connection to a pgpool node does not
> trigger the collection of any load balancing stats

Skimming over the project and the extension (for the first time ever…) it
seems pgpool only does stats in response to Execute messages while FDW is
using the simple query protocol. That pgpool doesn’t do stats for Query as
well seems like an oversight.

David J.

https://github.com/pgpool/pgpool2/commit/900e00c986795fa0392ae3259eb16b1f85b4a757#diff-649cecd94dc8a4432da827b6d4a103d8b3efa23c929229cab11de2b6779c3a5cR852

https://github.com/postgres/postgres/blob/a8ffa32377a765fc8d3c4354cdd5a258f596c810/contrib/postgres_fdw/connection.c#L708