Re: Data Packaging/Data Unpacking

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: oleg yusim <olegyusim(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Data Packaging/Data Unpacking
Date: 2016-01-13 21:49:32
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 2:37 PM, oleg yusim <olegyusim(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> OK, Kevin, David,
>
> Thanks you very much for explanation. Now who is the owner of this
> process? My understanding is, data then located physically in RAM, in the
> memory stack assigned by OS to this process. Now the question is who owns
> the process?

Who owns the PostgreSQL backend user process?​

​Typically the ​"postgres" user.
Who owns the "process" responsible for marshalling data back and forth from
RAM? There isn't really a concept of "process" when dealing with system
resources. The kernel is responsible for management of those resources.
Processes are a user-space concern.

There may be some here concerned with the deep workings of the various O/S
that PostgreSQL runs on but ultimately the answer, from PostgreSQL's
perspective, is that we use system APIs to request and use resources and
expect the underlying system to handle those securely. If you want to know
how that layer works you should ask there since it seems out-of-scope for
this forum.

David J.