Re: Upgrading from 11 to 13

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Daniel Westermann (DWE)" <daniel(dot)westermann(at)dbi-services(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>, Susan Joseph <sandajoseph(at)verizon(dot)net>, "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Upgrading from 11 to 13
Date: 2021-03-30 15:30:00
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 8:25 AM Daniel Westermann (DWE) <
daniel(dot)westermann(at)dbi-services(dot)com> wrote:

> versions?
> >>
> >> Many variations of OS'es, though not all. One of the benefits of Ubuntu
> is
> >> that you can jump from x.LTS to y.LTS over intermediate versions.
>
> >Oh, yeah. Anyway, any idea of how to more clearly state users don't
> >need to upgrade to intermediate versions?
>
> The best place would be the release notes, I guess. Right at the beginning
> here:

Release notes are probably a good place too but there is already a section
in the main documentation where this needs to be added.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/upgrading.html

Which is linked to from the main website.

https://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/

An explicit sentence stating that major upgrades can skip major versions is
needed. The document is written assuming the reading knows this, and just
makes a few minor notes on the topic:
e.g., "If you are upgrading across several major versions, be sure to read
the release notes for each intervening version."

David J.