Re: Upgrading from 11 to 13

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Daniel Westermann (DWE)" <daniel(dot)westermann(at)dbi-services(dot)com>, Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>, Susan Joseph <sandajoseph(at)verizon(dot)net>, "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Jonathan Katz <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Upgrading from 11 to 13
Date: 2021-04-01 22:06:08
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 08:30:00AM -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 8:25 AM Daniel Westermann (DWE) <
> daniel(dot)westermann(at)dbi-services(dot)com> wrote:
> The best place would be the release notes, I guess. Right at the beginning
> here:
>
> Release notes are probably a good place too but there is already a section in
> the main documentation where this needs to be added.
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/upgrading.html
>
> Which is linked to from the main website.
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/
>
> An explicit sentence stating that major upgrades can skip major versions is
> needed.  The document is written assuming the reading knows this, and just
> makes a few minor notes on the topic:
> e.g., "If you are upgrading across several major versions, be sure to read the
> release notes for each intervening version."

I have two patches --- one for our website, and another for our docs,
though not for the release notes specifically. The release notes do
reference this doc section though.

My idea was to link the ability to skip upgrading to intervening
versions with the need to read intervening version release notes.

EDB https://enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
pgweb.diff text/x-diff 759 bytes
upgrade.diff text/x-diff 858 bytes