Re: [patch] [doc] Minor variable related cleanup and rewording of plpgsql docs

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [patch] [doc] Minor variable related cleanup and rewording of plpgsql docs
Date: 2021-03-09 20:05:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 9, 2021 at 10:45 AM Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> út 9. 3. 2021 v 18:03 odesílatel David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
> napsal:
>
>> On 11/30/20 10:37 AM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
>> > po 30. 11. 2020 v 16:06 odesílatel David G. Johnston
>> >
>> > ok
>> This patch looks reasonable to me overall.
>>
>> A few comments:
>>
>> 1) PL/SQL seems to be used in a few places where I believe PL/pgSQL is
>> meant. This was pre-existing but now seems like a good opportunity to
>> fix it, unless I am misunderstanding.
>>

> +1

I vaguely recall looking for this back in October and not finding anything
that needed fixing in the area I was working in. The ready-for-commit can
stand without further investigation. Feel free to look for and fix
oversights of this nature if you feel they exist.

>> 2) I think:
>>
>> + makes the command behave like <command>SELECT</command>, which is
>> described
>>
>> flows a little better as:
>>
>> + makes the command behave like <command>SELECT</command>, as
>> described
>>

> I am not native speaker, so I am not able to evaluate it.

"which is described" is perfectly valid. I don't know that "as described"
is materially better from a flow perspective (I agree it reads a tiny bit
better) but either seems to adequately communicate the intended point so I
wouldn't gripe if it was changed during commit.

I intend to leave the patch as-is though since as written it is
committable, this second comment is just style and the first is scope creep.

David J.