Re: r there downsides to explicitly naming a pk column xxxx_pk

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: john snow <ofbizfanster(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: r there downsides to explicitly naming a pk column xxxx_pk
Date: 2017-12-14 20:22:41
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 1:14 PM, john snow <ofbizfanster(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> instead of the more conventional xxxx_id or just id?
>
> sorry if this may be a foolish question to some, but i'm trying to think
> thru
> a junior colleagues's proposal. the discussion occurred while we were
> discussing naming our foreign key constraints using the convention
> "childtable_parenttable_colname_fk".

​Are you talking about the constraint name or the name of the column
holding the data?​

​Identifiers in PostgreSQL can only be 64 characters (bytes?) long.

If it is the column name I wouldn't get too crazy or people writing out SQL
joins manually will be asking you to pay their medical bills...

I generally avoid naming any column "id" - tables get short code aliases
and those prefix the "id". I then name the column in the FK the exact same
name. I rely on system defaults for choosing the names of the
corresponding constraints and indexes.

David J.