Re: archive_command / single user mode

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: archive_command / single user mode
Date: 2021-08-10 01:03:42
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Aug 9, 2021 at 4:17 PM Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com> wrote:

> Does archive_command run in single user mode? This isn't an actual
> situation at the moment, but for runbook / disaster planning purposes, I
> was curious.

Nope.

If I follow the source code correctly...main.c calls PostgresMain
(postgres.c) which is basically a hybrid front-end/back-end standalone
setup which, as far as I can tell, never launches the archiver. The "else"
PostmasterMain (postmaster.c) call in main.c, however, leads to ServerLoop
which starts, and restarts if necessary, the archiver based upon the
current state machine state (e.g., PM_RUN).

Skimming the imports for postgres.c likewise confirms an omission of
pgarch.h ...

David J.