Re: using TEMP with the VACUUM function

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Wing Kin Chong <Wing(dot)Chong(at)mii(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: using TEMP with the VACUUM function
Date: 2024-07-01 13:13:49
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Sunday, June 30, 2024, Wing Kin Chong <Wing(dot)Chong(at)mii(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi Team,
>
> The VACUUM function currently doesn't use the system Environment Variables
> "TEMP" or "TMP"
> So, if the database size is over 100 GB,
> We have to make sure, there is 250 GB of free disk space,
> You need 2.5 times free disk space on the database disk to run the VACUUM
> function.
>
> Can your team look into this,
> Allow the VACUUM function using the system Environment Variables "TEMP" or
> "TMP" please.

The vacuum full command is what you are describing, right?

Not going to happen - the added space is not for temporary data, it’s for
the real new table being built. We’d have to move the data at the end of
the command if it was anywhere besides the data directory. Though the
additional space needed is whatever the size of the live tuples are, not
2.5 times the existing space that includes dead tuples.

David J.