Re: Re-order columns?

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Holger Jakobs <holger(at)jakobs(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Wells Oliver <wells(dot)oliver(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re-order columns?
Date: 2020-07-29 20:56:07
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Wednesday, July 29, 2020, Holger Jakobs <holger(at)jakobs(dot)com> wrote:

> That columns appear to have some kind of order and show in tools with a
> stable order has technical reasons and is not rooted in relational theory.

Technical reasons are real reasons. The order of columns is very real,
guaranteed (beware of inherits), thing in PostgreSQL whereas there is no
guarantee regarding row order outside of a select query order by. That
said I do agree that fulfilling “ocd” drives isn’t a strong use case to
work on the feature.

David J.