Re: Re-order columns?

From: Holger Jakobs <holger(at)jakobs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org,"David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>,Wells Oliver <wells(dot)oliver(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re-order columns?
Date: 2020-07-29 20:50:37
Lists: pgsql-admin

Actually, the order of columns is of _no_ importance, since columns are identified by name and not by column number. It's the same as the order of rows in a table - undefined (unless you use order by).

That columns appear to have some kind of order and show in tools with a stable order has technical reasons and is not rooted in relational theory.

Of you prefer a different order, use a view.

--
Holger Jakobs, Bergisch Gladbach
+49 178 9759012