Re: reload-through-the-top-parent switch the partition table

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Rushabh Lathia <rushabh(dot)lathia(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: reload-through-the-top-parent switch the partition table
Date: 2017-08-02 18:17:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 10:58 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> > On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 1:08 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> >> --restore-via-partition-root ?
>
> > I worry someone will think that pg_dump is now restoring stuff, but it
> isn't.
>
> Well, the point is that the commands it emits will cause the eventual
> restore to go through the root. Anyway, I think trying to avoid using
> a verb altogether is going to result in a very stilted option name.
>
> I notice that the option list already includes some references to
> "insert", so maybe "--insert-via-partition-root"? Although you could
> argue that that's confusing when we're using COPY.

--use-partitioned-table [partition-name, ...] # if names are omitted it
defaults to all partitioned tables

I don't know that we need to use "root" in the argument name to communicate
"the top-most if partitioned tables are nested". We have the docs to
describe exactly what it does. "Partitioned Table" is what we are calling
the main routing table in the docs. "Use" seems adequate.

FWIW my first thought was "--insert-via-partition-root" and I didn't mind
that "COPY" commands would be affected implicitly.

David J.