Re: Log Monitoring with PG Admin

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alex Magnum <magnum11200(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Log Monitoring with PG Admin
Date: 2016-02-17 16:31:45
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 9:05 AM, Alex Magnum <magnum11200(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi,
> i am running and RDS instance on AWS but monitoring logs is a bit
> cumbersome.
> Is there a way to do the through pgadmin3 ? Like tailing the logfile?

​Only if you are capable of doing something like this on RDS:​

​http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/file-fdw.html​

​(in theory a plain SQL COPY command could work here but I'm not sure how
that plays in reality)​

​Otherwise​ pgAdmin3 is like any other piece of client software that talks
to the server using SQL. It doesn't get any special access to the server's
environment including its filesystem and thus logs. The above would
pre-suppose that RDS PostgreSQL even keeps its logs in a flat file directly
accessible by PostgreSQL.

David J.