Re: How to display multiple rows in 1 row

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Baxter Allen <baxter(dot)allen(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to display multiple rows in 1 row
Date: 2017-01-11 03:55:49
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Tuesday, January 10, 2017, Baxter Allen <baxter(dot)allen(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Instead, I would like the output for each individual to be all on a single
> row:
> individual _id valA valB _id valC valD
> 1 1.table_b 1 2 1.table_c 4 3
> 2 2.table_b 4 7 2.table_c 3 4
> 3 3.table_b 5 4 3.table_c 2 21

The other approach is to "GROUP BY individual" and wrap every other column
in an aggregate function that retains the first non-null value in the group
(of which there should only be one). I don't recall there being a built-in
to do this but I'm certain it can be manually added and examples found on
the internet.

David J.