Re: Please add the ability to add columns into the middle of a table.

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Patrick Headley <pheadley(at)linxco-inc(dot)com>
Cc: "pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Please add the ability to add columns into the middle of a table.
Date: 2016-05-06 20:48:35
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 12:53 PM, Patrick Headley <pheadley(at)linxco-inc(dot)com>
wrote:

> I would like it if pgAdmin could generate the script to insert table
> columns into the middle of an existing table. This is something that is
> available in the SQL Server Management Studio, which uses essentially the
> same steps that I described in my initial request. So, hte answer is
> neither A or B but to script the insertion of columns into an existing
> table, which requires the creation of a replacement table with the new
> columns.
>
> I've attached one of my scripts to this message. This script is pretty
> complex.

That qualifies as option A

If it can be done via a script I'd suggest just adding said script to our
Wiki. I see very little benefit to having this embedded into pgAdmin.​

But hey, maybe this is something the pgAdmin4 team would want to consider.

Without native column-reorder support in the database I'm highly skeptical
of adding something like this into pgAdmin. The complaints we're likely to
receive by users outweigh the benefit, IMO.

David J.