Re: BUG #16868: Cannot find sqlstat error codes.

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: bipsy Nair <nbipin29(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>, "pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #16868: Cannot find sqlstat error codes.
Date: 2021-02-18 00:17:45
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 4:55 PM bipsy Nair <nbipin29(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> This is what leads me to think that it's potentially a problem in the RDS
> Postgres internals.

This is unlikely. I suspect that since Boto is intended as an abstraction
layer it simply doesn't care about trying to get verbose error details from
PostgreSQL and so ignores the SQLSTATE error code. Since the server
doesn't put the error code into the error message, as it seems MySQL does
by your examples, the code is simply unavailable without code changes to
the client database driver.

Sure, PostgreSQL could add a server option to print the SQLSTATE error code
as part of the error message. But it doesn't, nor do I suspect that is
likely to change.

The server provides the data; complain to the client software developer if
they are not making it accessible to you in the way you need when you use
their software.

David J.