Re: Postgresql 10 range partition

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Garry Chen <gc92(at)cornell(dot)edu>
Cc: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgresql 10 range partition
Date: 2017-12-18 16:54:11
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 9:43 AM, Garry Chen <gc92(at)cornell(dot)edu> wrote:

> HI All,
>
> I would like to create a range partition table but my
> question is when create the partitions can I use for values less then? If
> LESS THEN is not passable what is my options?

​Do you have a specific confusion regarding the docs on this matter?

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/sql-createtable.html​

Short answer, though, is that each partition exactly describes the data
that belongs to it and does not require any other partition to exist nor
changes with the introduction of new partitions. Your "less than"
construct fails this constraint.

You write:
"""
​ FOR VALUES LESS THEN (201807)

NOTE: Any month_SID values between 2017 July and 2018 June
"""

Your English note and the pseudo-SQL you wrote do not agree - your English
spec is the more useful one and is implemented using RANGE

David J.