Re: Enhancement to psql command, feedback.

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: John McKown <john(dot)archie(dot)mckown(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Ron <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Enhancement to psql command, feedback.
Date: 2018-05-09 13:56:45
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 6:44 AM, John McKown <john(dot)archie(dot)mckown(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Again, this is just a discussion point. And I'm quite willing to admit
> defeat if most people don't think that it is worth the effort.

​-1, at least per the example. I would not want "-U postgres" inside the
file. I tend to rely on service entries, not environment variables, and
wouldn't want to hard-code them either. While psql has grown more
flow-control capabilities recently it is, in most cases, a support language
for me, not a main entry point. Shell scripts merge the per-instance
run-time environment I need with the behavior the script provides - merging
that I find I need more often than not and don't miss the added overhead in
the few cases where it is unnecessary.

David J.