Re: Table-space documentation

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "ray(dot)hammond77(at)gmail(dot)com" <ray(dot)hammond77(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Table-space documentation
Date: 2023-11-27 13:21:46
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Sunday, November 26, 2023, PG Doc comments form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/manage-ag-tablespaces.html
>
> While reading the table-space documentation
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/manage-ag-tablespaces.html the
> information I was looking for was not included. The page invites feedback,
> so I though I would share. I was specifically looking for information on
> maximum table-space size and whether there is a use-case in which you would
> create several table-spaces to split your tables / indexes logically. I am
> from an Oracle world and it is normal for me to think about creating
> multiple table-spaces for groups of tables and placing a size on the
> table-space so that space does not extend and fill the o/s disk-space. It
> would be nice for the documentation to include information about this
> topic.
> Even if it is says that these factors I should not worry about as postgres
> handles them.

We tend to avoid documenting things that don’t exist. So the lack of a
documented limit or any syntax to define one means no limit exists.

As for usage patterns, there is a note I thought (maybe wiki FAQ?) that
since the only thing you get with a tablespace is another root level
storage place having more than one per disk really serves no purpose.

David J.