Re: Best tools to monitor and fine tune postgres

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Atul Kumar <akumar14871(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: o1bigtenor <o1bigtenor(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, "svsn2(at)yahoo(dot)com" <svsn2(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Best tools to monitor and fine tune postgres
Date: 2021-01-15 16:42:38
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 9:28 AM Atul Kumar <akumar14871(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I don’t find find it wrong if any new guy asking the question that has
> been repeated 1000 times earlier, if I know the answer I WILL RESPOND 1000
> TIMES, “unlike you”.

At some point that becomes both personally disruptive and bad for the
community. Intentionally not answering and letting someone else answer
(this being a public forum) is how other members of the community will end
up growing. If you answer questions well beneath your capabilities you
don't grow while someone else, who is a bit uncertain, giving the same
response, will receive positive feedback when their same answer is shown to
be correct. And given the safety net of others chiming in for incorrect
(or incomplete) answers it is a safe forum in which to do those kinds of
things. If anything giving honest but wrong answers and receiving
corrective comments is a virtue of this community.

David J.