Re: PG 14 pg_basebackup accepts --compress=server-zst option

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kashif Zeeshan <kashi(dot)zeeshan(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Ron Johnson <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG 14 pg_basebackup accepts --compress=server-zst option
Date: 2024-06-07 04:32:09
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thursday, June 6, 2024, Kashif Zeeshan <kashi(dot)zeeshan(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Fri, Jun 7, 2024 at 6:54 AM Ron Johnson <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
>

>> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/app-pgbasebackup.html doesn't mention
>> "--compress=[{client|server}-]method". That first appears in the v15
>> docs.
>>
>> And yet pg_basebackup doesn't complain about an invalid option.
>> (Technically, this is a bug; I first noticed it a week after copying a
>> script from a PG 15 server to five PG 14 servers, and running it quite a
>> few times without fail.)

Seems a bit suspect, but as your script doesn’t mention tar the option
itself is apparently ignored, I guess silently. Assuming this isn’t an
actual regression in behavior in a patch-released older version I don’t see
us adding an error message at this point.

> If the support is removed then it should be mentioned in the official
> documentation.

Support wasn’t removed. Re-read the email and check the version/times
being mentioned again.

David J.