Re: BUG #18453: --exclude-database has problems with capital letters

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "jernej-s31+pg(at)simoncic(dot)si" <jernej-s31+pg(at)simoncic(dot)si>, "pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #18453: --exclude-database has problems with capital letters
Date: 2024-05-01 00:09:29
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Tuesday, April 30, 2024, PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
wrote:

> Bug reference: 18453
> Logged by: Jernej Simončič
> Email address: jernej-s31+pg(at)simoncic(dot)si
> PostgreSQL version: 16.2
> Operating system: Windows Server 2022
>
> I've got a database named Lidar, which I want to exclude from being dumped
> with pg_dumpall. When I use the following command, the database is not
> skipped:
>
> "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\16\bin\pg_dumpall.exe"
> --exclude-database="Lidar" -U postgres > D:\dumps\pg.dump
>
> If I instead use --exclude-database="?idar", the database is skipped as
> expected (using "lidar" instead of "Lidar" also doesn't skip the database).

There is no bug here. The pattern specified doesn’t quote the identifier
so it is folded to lowercase.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/app-psql.html#APP-PSQL-PATTERNS

You will need to deal with getting quotes into the pattern while dealing
with the fact your OS uses quotes for its own purpose.

David J.