Re: Understanding conflicts on publications and subscriptions

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Koen De Groote <kdg(dot)dev(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2024-07-30 14:04:01
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tuesday, July 30, 2024, Koen De Groote <kdg(dot)dev(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> If the subscriber gets a bit of logic to say "Something went wrong, so I'm
> automatically stopping what I'm doing", it sounds logical to give the
> publisher the same ability.

The wording for that option is:
Specifies whether the subscription should be automatically disabled if any
errors are detected by subscription workers during data replication from
the publisher.

A subscription worker has no clue what the publisher is doing. It operates
on the “when I see data I act on it” model.

As for whether the publisher should have this clause - the errors in
question are logical, data-oriented, errors, which the publisher is
incapable of having.

I believe what you are effectively requesting is that instead of
disallowing updates and deletes on the added table that lacks replica
identity you wish for the addition itself to fail. That would have made a
better default behavior with an option to override when the current
behavior is desired. But it seems too late to change this decision now.

David J.