Re: Better error message when --single is not the first arg to postgres executable

From: Greg Sabino Mullane <htamfids(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Better error message when --single is not the first arg to postgres executable
Date: 2024-06-06 03:38:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jun 5, 2024 at 3:18 PM Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Could we remove the requirement that --single must be first? I'm not
> thrilled about adding a list of "must be first" options that needs to stay
> updated, but given this list probably doesn't change too frequently, maybe
> that's still better than a more invasive patch to allow specifying these
> options in any order...

It would be nice, and I briefly looked into removing the "first"
requirement, but src/backend/tcop/postgres.c for one assumes that --single
is always argv[1], and it seemed not worth the extra effort to make it work
for argv[N] instead of argv[1]. I don't mind it being the first argument,
but that confusing error message needs to go.

Thanks,
Greg