Re: Jargon and acronyms on this mailing list

From: Greg Sabino Mullane <htamfids(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2024-09-10 14:41:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Sep 3, 2024 at 11:50 AM Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Do you think these acronyms make it difficult for some to contribute to
> Postgres? I've always felt that they were pretty easy to figure out and a
> nice way to save some typing for common phrases, but I'm not sure it's ever
> really been discussed

I do think it raises the bar a bit, especially for non-native-English
speakers. Granted, the learning curve is not super high, and context plus
web searching can usually help people out, but the lists are dense enough
already, so I wanted to help people out. Also, mailing lists in general are
a pretty foreign concept to young developers, and as AFAICT [1], not all
the acronyms have crossed to the texting world.

Cheers,
Greg

[1] See what I did there? [2]

[2] Do people still learn about and use footnotes?