Re: RFC: adding pytest as a supported test framework

From: Greg Sabino Mullane <htamfids(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Jacob Champion <jacob(dot)champion(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RFC: adding pytest as a supported test framework
Date: 2024-06-15 21:57:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jun 14, 2024 at 5:09 PM Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>
wrote:

> Test::More on the other hand, while indeed still maintained, it's
> definitely not getting significant new feature development or
> improvements[2]. Especially when comparing it to pytest[3].

That's fair, although it's a little hard to tell if the lack of new
features is because they are not needed for a stable, mature project, or
because few people are asking for and developing new features. Probably a
bit of both. But I'll be the first to admit Perl is dying; I just don't
know what should replace it (or how - or when). Python has its quirks, but
all languages do, and your claim that it will encourage more and easier
test writing by developers is a good one.

Cheers,
Greg