Re: RFC: adding pytest as a supported test framework

From: Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>
To: Greg Sabino Mullane <htamfids(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Jacob Champion <jacob(dot)champion(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RFC: adding pytest as a supported test framework
Date: 2024-06-14 21:08:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 14 Jun 2024 at 22:33, Greg Sabino Mullane <htamfids(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I am not happy with the state of Perl, as it has made some MAJOR missteps along the way, particularly in the last 5 years. But can we dispel this strawman? There is a difference between "unpopular" and "unmaintained". The latest version of Perl was released May 20, 2024. The latest release of Test::More was April 25, 2024. Both are heavily used. Just not as heavily as they used to be. :)

Sorry, yes I exaggerated here. Looking at the last Perl changelog[1]
it's definitely getting more new features and improvements than I had
thought.

Test::More on the other hand, while indeed still maintained, it's
definitely not getting significant new feature development or
improvements[2]. Especially when comparing it to pytest[3].

[1]: https://perldoc.perl.org/perldelta
[2]: https://github.com/Test-More/test-more/blob/master/Changes
[3]: https://docs.pytest.org/en/stable/changelog.html