Re: Perf decreased although server is better

From: Benjamin Toueg <btoueg(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Rick Otten <rottenwindfish(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-performa(dot)" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Perf decreased although server is better
Date: 2016-11-04 11:53:49
Lists: pgsql-performance

I've noticed a network latency increase. Ping between web server and
database : 0.6 ms avg before, 5.3 ms avg after -- it wasn't that big 4 days
ago :(

I've narrowed my investigation to one particular "Transaction" in terms of
the NewRelic APM. It's basically the main HTTP request of my application.

Looks like the ping impacts psycopg2:connect (see http://imgur.com/a/LDH1c)
4 ms up to 16 ms on average.

That I can understand. However, I don't understand the performance decrease
of the select queries on table1 (see https://i.stack.imgur.com/QaUqy.png)
80 ms up to 160 ms on average

Same goes for table 2 (see http://imgur.com/a/CnETs) 4 ms up to 20 ms on
average

However, there is a commit in my request, and it performs better (see
http://imgur.com/a/td8Dc) 12 ms down to 6 ms on average.

I don't see how this can be due to network latency!

I will provide a new bonnie++ benchmark when the requests per minute is at
the lowest (remember I can only run benchmarks while the server is in use).

Rick, what did you mean by kernel configuration? The OS is a standard
Ubuntu 16.04:

- Linux 4.4.0-45-generic #66-Ubuntu SMP Wed Oct 19 14:12:37 UTC 2016
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Do you think losing half the number of cores can explain my performance
issue ? (AMD 8 cores down to Haswell 4 cores).

Best Regards,

Benjamin

PS : I've edited the SO post
http://serverfault.com/questions/812702/posgres-perf-decreased-although-server-is-better