Camel case identifiers and folding

From: Steve Haresnape <s(dot)haresnape(at)creativeintegrity(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Camel case identifiers and folding
Date: 2019-03-14 23:06:55
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm porting a sql server database to postgresql 9.6. My camelCase
identifiers are having their humps removed. This is disconcerting and sad.

Is there a cure for this?

I don't want to quote my identifiers unless I have to. I don't want to use
underscores. Everywhere else I write code I use camel case. I makes me feel
warm inside.

This is folding in the same sense Procrustes folded his guests to fit his
bed.

The sql standard has some dumb stuff in it. Do not appeal to it. It can be
safely ignored in this regard (by Microsoft, and anyone else wishing to
prevent the propagation of stupidity).

The only mechanism available to put any semantics into the database is via
the naming of identifiers. Why screw with that? Imagine what would happen
if your IDE decided to do that to your java code.