Re: Camel case identifiers and folding

From: Wim Bertels <wim(dot)bertels(at)ucll(dot)be>
To: Steve Haresnape <s(dot)haresnape(at)creativeintegrity(dot)co(dot)nz>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Camel case identifiers and folding
Date: 2019-03-15 09:12:40
Lists: pgsql-general

Steve Haresnape schreef op vr 15-03-2019 om 12:06 [+1300]:
> I'm porting a sql server database to postgresql 9.6. My camelCase
> identifiers are having their humps removed. This is disconcerting and
> sad.

the SQL ISO defines exactly this behaviour (as you note),
so this is be expected

suggestion : instead of CamelCase use seperate_lower_case_by_underscore

You don't like this notation, maybe this can help.
It is suggested that is more relaxing for the brain, our brain tends to
focus on the Capitals first.
Reasoning: So scanning a literal like dogFeedFood first goes the F of
Feed and Food and only then goes back to dog.

Changing habits can be hard, unfortunately.

"" > literal
'' > string

--
mvg,