Re: Allow logical failover slots to wait on synchronous replication

From: shveta malik <shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: John H <johnhyvr(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bertrand Drouvot <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, shveta malik <shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Allow logical failover slots to wait on synchronous replication
Date: 2024-09-09 06:16:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Aug 30, 2024 at 12:56 AM John H <johnhyvr(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi Shveta,
>
> Thanks for reviewing it so quickly.
>
> On Thu, Aug 29, 2024 at 2:35 AM shveta malik <shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for the patch. Few comments and queries:
> >
> > 1)
> > + static XLogRecPtr lsn[NUM_SYNC_REP_WAIT_MODE];
> >
> > We shall name it as 'lsns' as there are multiple.
> >

> This follows the same naming convention in walsender_private.h
>
> > 2)
> >
> > + for (i = 0; i < NUM_SYNC_REP_WAIT_MODE; i++)
> > + {
> > + lsn[i] = InvalidXLogRecPtr;
> > + }
> >
> > Can we do it like below similar to what you have done at another place:
> > memset(lsn, InvalidXLogRecPtr, sizeof(lsn));
> >

> I don't think memset works in this case? Well, I think *technically* works but
> not sure if that's something worth optimizing.
> If I understand correctly, memset takes in a char for the value and
> not XLogRecPtr (uint64).
>
> So something like: memset(lsn, 0, sizeof(lsn))
>
> InvalidXLogRecPtr is defined as 0 so I think it works but there's an
> implicit dependency here
> for correctness.
>
> > 3)
> > + if (!initialized)
> > + {
> > + for (i = 0; i < NUM_SYNC_REP_WAIT_MODE; i++)
> > + {
> > + lsn[i] = InvalidXLogRecPtr;
> > + }
> > + }
> >
> > I do not see 'initialized' set to TRUE anywhere. Can you please
> > elaborate the intent here?
>
> You're right I thought I fixed this. WIll update.
>

> > 4)
> > + int mode = SyncRepWaitMode;
> > + int i;
> > +
> > + if (!initialized)
> > + {
> > + for (i = 0; i < NUM_SYNC_REP_WAIT_MODE; i++)
> > + {
> > + lsn[i] = InvalidXLogRecPtr;
> > + }
> > + }
> > + if (mode == SYNC_REP_NO_WAIT)
> > + return true;
> >
> > I do not understand this code well. As Amit also pointed out, 'mode'
> > may change. When we initialize 'mode' lets say SyncRepWaitMode is
> > SYNC_REP_NO_WAIT but by the time we check 'if (mode ==
> > SYNC_REP_NO_WAIT)', SyncRepWaitMode has changed to say
> > SYNC_REP_WAIT_FLUSH, if so, then we will wrongly return true from
> > here. Is that a possibility? ProcessConfigFile() is in the caller, and
> > thus we may end up using the wrong mode.
> >

> Yes it's possible for mode to change. In my comment to Amit in the other thread,
> I think we have to store mode and base our execution of this logic and ignore
> SyncRepWaitMode changing due to ProcesConfigFile/SIGHUP for one iteration.
>
> We can store the value of mode later, so something like:
>
> > if (SyncRepWaitMode == SYNC_REP_NO_WAIT)
> > return true;
> > mode = SyncRepWaitMode
> [...]

I was trying to have a look at the patch again, it doesn't apply on
the head, needs rebase.

Regarding 'mode = SyncRepWaitMode', FWIW, SyncRepWaitForLSN() also
does in a similar way. It gets mode in local var initially and uses it
later. See [1]. So isn't there a chance too that 'SyncRepWaitMode' can
change in between.

[1]:
mode = SyncRepWaitMode;
if (!WalSndCtl->sync_standbys_defined ||
lsn <= WalSndCtl->lsn[mode])
{
LWLockRelease(SyncRepLock);
return;