Re: Allow logical failover slots to wait on synchronous replication

From: John H <johnhyvr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: shveta malik <shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bertrand Drouvot <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Allow logical failover slots to wait on synchronous replication
Date: 2024-08-29 19:26:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Shveta,

Thanks for reviewing it so quickly.

On Thu, Aug 29, 2024 at 2:35 AM shveta malik <shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Thanks for the patch. Few comments and queries:
>
> 1)
> + static XLogRecPtr lsn[NUM_SYNC_REP_WAIT_MODE];
>
> We shall name it as 'lsns' as there are multiple.

This follows the same naming convention in walsender_private.h

> 2)
>
> + for (i = 0; i < NUM_SYNC_REP_WAIT_MODE; i++)
> + {
> + lsn[i] = InvalidXLogRecPtr;
> + }
>
> Can we do it like below similar to what you have done at another place:
> memset(lsn, InvalidXLogRecPtr, sizeof(lsn));

I don't think memset works in this case? Well, I think *technically* works but
not sure if that's something worth optimizing.
If I understand correctly, memset takes in a char for the value and
not XLogRecPtr (uint64).

So something like: memset(lsn, 0, sizeof(lsn))

InvalidXLogRecPtr is defined as 0 so I think it works but there's an
implicit dependency here
for correctness.

> 3)
> + if (!initialized)
> + {
> + for (i = 0; i < NUM_SYNC_REP_WAIT_MODE; i++)
> + {
> + lsn[i] = InvalidXLogRecPtr;
> + }
> + }
>
> I do not see 'initialized' set to TRUE anywhere. Can you please
> elaborate the intent here?

You're right I thought I fixed this. WIll update.

> 4)
> + int mode = SyncRepWaitMode;
> + int i;
> +
> + if (!initialized)
> + {
> + for (i = 0; i < NUM_SYNC_REP_WAIT_MODE; i++)
> + {
> + lsn[i] = InvalidXLogRecPtr;
> + }
> + }
> + if (mode == SYNC_REP_NO_WAIT)
> + return true;
>
> I do not understand this code well. As Amit also pointed out, 'mode'
> may change. When we initialize 'mode' lets say SyncRepWaitMode is
> SYNC_REP_NO_WAIT but by the time we check 'if (mode ==
> SYNC_REP_NO_WAIT)', SyncRepWaitMode has changed to say
> SYNC_REP_WAIT_FLUSH, if so, then we will wrongly return true from
> here. Is that a possibility? ProcessConfigFile() is in the caller, and
> thus we may end up using the wrong mode.

Yes it's possible for mode to change. In my comment to Amit in the other thread,
I think we have to store mode and base our execution of this logic and ignore
SyncRepWaitMode changing due to ProcesConfigFile/SIGHUP for one iteration.

We can store the value of mode later, so something like:

> if (SyncRepWaitMode == SYNC_REP_NO_WAIT)
> return true;
> mode = SyncRepWaitMode
> if (lsn[mode] >= wait_for_lsn)
> return true;

But it's the same issue which is when you check lsn[mode],
SyncRepWaitMode could have changed to
something else, so you always have to initialize the value and will
always have this discrepancy.

I'm skeptical end users are changing SyncRepWaitMode in their database
clusters as
it has implications for their durability and I would assume they run
with the same durability guarantees.

Thanks,
--
John Hsu - Amazon Web Services