Re: FW: Re: type for storing emails?

From: Steve Midgley <science(at)misuse(dot)org>
To: Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreas(at)visena(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FW: Re: type for storing emails?
Date: 2019-11-12 15:50:35
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 7:21 AM Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreas(at)visena(dot)com>
wrote:

> På tirsdag 12. november 2019 kl. 16:07:47, skrev stan <stanb(at)panix(dot)com>:
>
> [...]
> For the moment, I am just going to verify that what is entered is a valid
> email format. Verifying that the email exists, may come later.
>
> Thanks for making me think about this, though.
>

> Note that it's only possible to verify that the email-address is *correctly
> structured and a syntactically correct*. There is no way to verify that
> an email-address actually exists, ie. that a recipient will receive emails
> sent to it.

Not to be pedantic but in the data model, you could have a couple of
verification data fields (e.g. verification_code; email_verified), and
actually send an email and record if the user comes back with the correct
verification code. It's obviously not something that can be handled solely
via specs or database, but a data model can accommodate actual email
verification (as I know you know, but thought I should make clear for
future readers of the archives).