Re: ERROR: canceling statement due to statement timeout

From: Patrick B <patrickbakerbr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ERROR: canceling statement due to statement timeout
Date: 2017-01-12 00:31:26
Lists: pgsql-general

> On 01/11/2017 04:08 PM, Patrick B wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I'm using PostgreSQL 9.2 in two different servers.
>>
>> server1 (Master Postgres DB server, running Postgres 9.2 / 128GB ram) -
>> RAID 10 Magnetic disks
>> server2 (Master Postgres DB server, running Postgres 9.2 / 128GB ram) -
>> EBS (AWS) io2 10k IOPS
>>
>> When I run a query, I get this error:
>>
>> ERROR: canceling statement due to statement timeout
>>
>> statement_timeout is 0 in both servers.
>>
>> However, on server1 I am able to run the query. Only on server2 that I
>> get that error.
>>
>> Why? If it is same DB???
>>

> It is not the same DB if it is on two different servers not connected by
> replication. More to the point statement_timeout is a client connection
> setting, so is the client you use to connect to server2 the same as the one
> you use for server1?
>
> Is AWS being 'helpful' and setting a timeout?
>
> Is there anything in the log before the ERROR shown above that indicates
> something is setting statement_timeout?
>
> <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>

Same database, different database servers; server1 is the old Master server
and I'm using it to compare.

It is not the client, because if I run the query manually using explain
analyze i get the error:

live_db=> explain analyze

SELECT DISTINCT id0
> FROM
> (SELECT

[...]

ERROR: canceling statement due to statement timeout

just a remind that on server1 works, but on server2 it doesn't.