temporarily disable autovacuum on a database or server ?

From: Jonathan Vanasco <postgres(at)2xlp(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: temporarily disable autovacuum on a database or server ?
Date: 2017-01-12 00:26:55
Lists: pgsql-general

I've run into a performance issue, and I think autovacuum may be involved.

does anyone know if its possible to temporarily stop autovacuum without a server restart ?

It seems that it either requires a server restart, or specific tables to be configured.

Several times a day/week, I run a handful of scripts to handle database maintenance and backups:

* refreshing materialized views
* calculating analytics/derived/summary tables and columns
* backing up the database (pg_dumpall > bz2 > archiving)

These activities have occasionally overlapped with autovacuum, and the performance seems to be affected.