Re: Is *fast* 32-bit support still important?

From: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Joel Jacobson <joel(at)compiler(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Is *fast* 32-bit support still important?
Date: 2024-08-05 12:24:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

> > Pretty much any embedded system that uses just a few GB of memory may
> > win from using a 32-bit processor (not necessarily in terms of
> > performance, maybe in terms of price). Think of WiFi-routers, smart
> > TVs, 3D printers, etc.
>
> Thanks for feedback!
>
> Do we know of any such products or users?
>
> I found an OS that runs on many 32-bit chips, FreeRTOS, that seems quite popular.
> Couldn't find anything about PostgreSQL and FreeRTOS though.
> I've posted a question on their forum. [1] Let's wait and see if we hear from any real user.

I'm not extremely familiar with FreeRTOS but my humble understanding
is that it's very different from what we would typically call an
"operating system". If I'm not wrong, basically this is a framework
that adds multitasking to STM32 microcontrollers. This is not exactly
a target hardware for PostgreSQL (although running PostgreSQL on STM32
MCUs could be a fun project for someone looking for a challenging
task.)

> I see one i386 and i686 build farm animals runs Debian.
> Perhaps it makes sense to try to reach out to the Debian community,
> and see if they know of any PostgreSQL users on 32-bit?
>
> > Generally speaking it's hard to give an exact answer due to lack of
> > "telemetry" in PostgreSQL.
>
> Could we add a text message that is displayed to a user,
> when compiling PostgreSQL on a 32-bit platform?

What would be actionable items depending on the results? Option A:
someone claims to use PostgreSQL on 32-bit hardware. Option B: no one
admits that they use PostgreSQL on 32-bit hardware (but maybe someone
actually does and/or will in the future). Regardless of the results
you can't drop the support of 32-bit software (until it gets as
difficult and pointless as with AIX that was dropped recently) and it
will not tell you how slow the 32-bit version of PostgreSQL can be.

If there are no actionable items why create a poll?

--
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev