Re: Is *fast* 32-bit support still important?

From: "Joel Jacobson" <joel(at)compiler(dot)org>
To: "Aleksander Alekseev" <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Is *fast* 32-bit support still important?
Date: 2024-08-05 12:04:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jul 30, 2024, at 11:06, Aleksander Alekseev wrote:
> Hi Joel,
>
> Here are my two cents.
>
>> 1. Who are the current users of 32-bit PostgreSQL?
>
> Pretty much any embedded system that uses just a few GB of memory may
> win from using a 32-bit processor (not necessarily in terms of
> performance, maybe in terms of price). Think of WiFi-routers, smart
> TVs, 3D printers, etc.

Thanks for feedback!

Do we know of any such products or users?

I found an OS that runs on many 32-bit chips, FreeRTOS, that seems quite popular.
Couldn't find anything about PostgreSQL and FreeRTOS though.
I've posted a question on their forum. [1] Let's wait and see if we hear from any real user.

I see one i386 and i686 build farm animals runs Debian.
Perhaps it makes sense to try to reach out to the Debian community,
and see if they know of any PostgreSQL users on 32-bit?

> Generally speaking it's hard to give an exact answer due to lack of
> "telemetry" in PostgreSQL.

Could we add a text message that is displayed to a user,
when compiling PostgreSQL on a 32-bit platform?

*****
NOTICE: You are compiling PostgreSQL on a 32-bit platform.

We are interested in learning about your use case.
Please contact us with details about how you are using
PostgreSQL on this platform.

Thank you!

Contact: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Report from 32-bit user
*****

/Joel